Yesterday was the last Improv Quilting class until September. It is nice to feel the approach of summer, and a different pace and set of concerns on the horizon, and it was hard to say goodbye. I will miss the weekly dialogue about cloth, along with the more personal notes about trips, children, grandchildren, former occupations, and so much more.
And, the house will miss the weekly call to clean up. In a fit of pre-class kitchen clean up, I bleached the strings to our Roman blinds — and look at the result!! I have been meaning to do this for ages. It is ALWAYS satisfying to do something you’ve been meaning to do for ages.
I am signed up for three online classes this spring, which will very much mark the turning toward summer. So excited. Karen Ruane (Contemporary Embroidery), Glennis Dolce (blog – “Shibori Girl”; class – Indigo Dyeing), and Jude Hill (blog – “Spirit Cloth”; class – Contemporary Boro). Pretty great, right?
Here is a turtle cloth that I made yesterday. It was to practice needle-turned applique, which I used for the critter’s feet, head, and tail. I used a cloth weaving from another Jude Hill class as the shell. This was a first in many ways. I used Jude’s method of invisible basting prior to attaching the turtle. I cannot believe the difference it made in terms of stabilizing the layers and making it POSSIBLE to enjoy the subsequent handwork. I may be slow, says the turtle, but I’ll get there.
The dark green was a little too dark on the red, so I lightened it with a white oil pastel. I’m not 100% happy with that result, but it’s better than the untouched green.
I may be slow, but I’ll get there!
(It wasn’t until re-titling this post that I noticed the rabbit above!)